Monday, July 17, 2006

Uh Oh! Two New Phrases

My daughter has just this past week learned and used correctly two not so nice phrases. First one was last week on Tuesday. She was riding in the car with her Gramma when someone took their parking space, my daughter promptly says "what a dumb a--". My mom was totally shocked that her precious granddaughter would ever mutter such sentiments! However we do know that her Pop (a.ka. Grandpa) uses these exact words around 50 times a day.
Second time was this weekend, again in the presence of grandparents. She was helping her Grammy and Grandpa clean out their car. Well Grandpa was teasing and carrying on and irritating Grammy. So my daughter turns to Grammy and says "Grandpa is really being a smart a-- isn't he". Grandpa is in the front of the vehicle laughing until his stomach hurts because not only does she use these words, but she usually them correctly without missing a beat. Grammy did however give her a firm warning about saying such things. Again, we do know where she learned this one. Her dad is often calling me and his mother these nice things.
So, I am thoroughly shocked and appalled! I am also very concerned about the fact that she is going to vacation bible school for the first time this week after learning these new phrases. I'm sure the church will be greatly impressed by her vocabulary if she chooses to use them. Let's hope that she's forgotten or finally realized after two tries that they aren't a good idea. I'm now working on the people around me so that she will not continue to learn worse things from them. My husband is prone to saying way worse than the a-- word! So is good old Pop, Grandpa and Grammy. She does have one good influence as my mom, her gramma, even believes that fart is a bad word. :)

No comments: