Monday, July 30, 2007


This week my husband and I will celebrate our 8 year wedding anniversary. It's hard to believe that 8 years have come and gone since our wedding day. We were 19 & 20 years old when we got married and a lot of people thought we would never make it. I'm not saying we've made it to our 50th, but I'm still pretty proud of having reached 8 years. We've seen several other couples marry and divorce, so we're happy to say that we're still together.

We had some challenges getting to the wedding. Two weeks before we were to be married I received a call from the church saying that the ceiling had started to give way and we weren't going to be able to have our wedding there. So we had to scramble to find another location and notify all of our guests of the change.

My mother-in-law and I were having it out over my sister-in-law. She was singing in the wedding, so I didn't have her as a bridesmaid. My mother-in-law wanted her to walk down the aisle no matter what and I simply refused. She was singing and that to me was more important than any walk down the aisle. My wedding coordinator (thank God for her!) had to confront my mother-in-law on the wedding day to clear up that my sister-in-law would be up front to sing and that she wasn't making a grand entrance down the aisle!

The actual ceremony was beautiful and went off without a hitch. Then we came to the reception. We had just finished eating when a big storm blew up and knocked out all the power. The DJ had no way to play music, there was no air conditioning in July and no lights in a building with no windows. My husband had to leave his own reception to return with a generator and a stereo system as the DJ wouldn't hook his equipment to a generator. So we now had music, but no lights and no air. Tons of people left early! When it came time to throw my bouquet I threw it high and hard. It landed directly in the punch bowl. I definitely wasn't laughing by this time!

The power came back on right as we were leaving for our honeymoon. As we were driving south for our honeymoon trip it started pooring rain and when we approached a bridge our car suddenly lost all power. My husband steered us into the only available place after the bridge which was a liquor store. He locked me in the car and started to walk for help when he saw a truck of drunk men pull into the store and decided to come back for me. We were able to coast the car down a hill into a motel where we found a police officer. The police officer only had one hand and a hook on the other. I AM NOT KIDDING! I started crying and saying that I was going to call my mom to come and get me! This was not what I had imagined. A tow truck came to our rescue. The guys towed us to their 24 hour shop and took a part off of their boss' car to be able to fix ours and get us on our way. These two tow truck/mechanics were our angels that night! You should have seen me, in tears, wearing a white outfit, hair all done up and sitting in a greasy shop at 1:00 a.m. in the morning! After our two guardian angels sent us on our way we had a fabulous honeymoon.

We always say that perhaps a bad wedding means a good marriage!


Hope said...

Sorry it was such a challenging day! Makes for a great story! Happy 8th.

Virginia (Jenny) said...

Oh my gosh! What a story!!

Ours was similar but not nearly as bad. Our church decided that we were getting married to soon even though we knew each other for a year. So, they wouldn't let us have a wedding in their church. We were planning it for a few months ahead but at another church's building. There was so many problems, my husband decided to cut down the wait time by a ton. He called and said, "lets get married this weekend." I still had a big wedding planned but just much faster. We had to run around fast to get everything. My parents were gonna give us a honeymoon by the beach in Seattle but changed their minds and just got us a 3 day hotel stay in the same city as we were living. My sister refused to show up since it wasn't in the original church. Most of my side of family couldn't make it. Just his side. When we were on our 3rd day of honeymoon, I got extremely sick and started barfing everywhere in front of Charles. I was in and out of hospital and he had to take care of me and take more work off. I was so weak and feverish. I'm still happy we got married but it was just somewhat stressful. By the way, I also got married at 19 and we've been married for 8 years. :)

Virginia (Jenny) said...

Forgot to mention.... baby number 5 is on the way. Due in 8 weeks. :o) Thanks for visiting my site!

A Hoosier Family said...

Happy Anniversary!

buhtafly said...

WOW!!!! That makes for a great story...I wouldnt have been laughing then either! happy anniversary! Congrats on 8 years!!